October 29, 2013

Butternut Squash and Sausage Lasagna

I had two large butternut squashes just hanging out and I could not figure out what to do with them. I thought soup... Nah... I thought just roast the dang things... Yum, but not enough wow factor. Lasagna... Whoa, great idea. This recipe showed me that butternut squash and sausage should always be friends. The flavors complement each other so well. I topped it with a little Alfredo sauce to up the saucy factor. I like sauce! I served the lasagna with roasted carrots and a simple Caesar salad.
Roast the butternut squash for about 50 minutes at 400 degrees. I coated the squash in olive oil, flesh side up, sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder. I cut the squash in quarters. Try to take the skin off the squash before you roast it, I did not comply with this step and I wish I had. Then after the squash is roasted I plopped it in the food processor and pureed it (adding just a pinch more salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic powder). 

Recipe:


about 3-4 cups butternut squash puree
4 cloves of garlic, minced and divided
15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
heaping 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
1 1/2 tsp rosemary
1 1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp thyme 
3/4 lbs mild Italian sausage - Pan fry with 1/2 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 minced garlic
whole box of lasagna noodles (12 ish)
fresh Sage

~MIX ricotta, cheese, garlic, rosemary, pepper, thyme and cinnamon
~Preheat oven to 400 degrees
~13x9 glass pan, spread a little puree on the bottom of the pan then MIX the cooked sausage into the butternut squash puree.
~Add four noodles to the bottom of the pan then ADD the butternut/sausage mixture on top of the noodles. Then ADD a layer of noodles. Then add the ricotta mixture (it was thick so I just dolloped and carefully spread over the noodles). The repeat this process. I topped the final layer of noodles with half a jar of Alfredo sauce and a handful (or two) of Parmesan cheese.
~BAKE for 45 minutes
Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment