May 5, 2010

Mama Lou's Strawberry Shortcake







Font size

It is glorious how you can take whip cream, angel food cake and strawberries and make this holy concoction!

Now most of my recipes are one's I just eyeball.

So, if I say "Eyeball" just wing it until you think it looks super good. Hopefully, I will do my best at measuring said ingredients. No promises. It's your food, do what you want.

Confession: I never follow a recipe to the T, it's just not in me but if you can all the power to you.

Here's what cookin' good lookin'...

For the strawberries: Cut up the lil strawberry guys, mix with about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, half a tablespoon cinnamon, a teaspoon of vanilla and a smidgen of sugar in the raw just to give the strawberries the extra crunch and sparkle. Stick the strawberries in the fridge for about half an hour so the flavors merry into something wonderful and it creates this sugary juice at the bottom of the bowl.
Prepare any type angel food cake or pastries to cover with the strawberries. I tried angel food cake in little silicon cupcake molds that worked beautifully. Or take the easy road and find the strawberry shortcake cakes usually right next to the strawberries.
For the whip cream: Get heavy whipping cream. It is always worth it to make your own! I add a pinch of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla.
The assembly: Take the "cake" and cover with mounds of strawberries, ladle on a little bit of sugary juice and top with delicious whip cream. If you wanna get nutty put some nuts on top of the whip cream. And it may sound fruity but put a little more strawberries on top.
You got it! Go for it!
Love Lil Miss Lou.

1 comment: